Along the way, hes giving Canada the opportunity | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » General » General Forum
zhaoqi123
zhaoqi123 Jul 19 '16
TORONTO -- Jets coach Paul Maurice said Saturday morning that he would dress his best lineup as they prepared for the Maple Leafs. Mike Evans Buccaneers Jersey . But by the time the puck dropped at Air Canada Centre, Winnipeg forward Evander Kane had been listed as a healthy scratch as the Jets went on to deliver a severe blow to Torontos playoff hopes with a 4-2 win. "That was a coachs decision," explained Maurice. "Youll get no rationale from me. Youve seen me on TV before. Theres nothing rational out of my mouth." Devin Setoguchi, who was a healthy scratch in four of the past five games, replaced Kane and played 13 minutes on a line with Eric ODell and Matt Halischuk. Kane, who has just two goals and 12 points in his past 21 games, is in the second year of his six-year, $31.5 million contract, which carries a salary of $4.5 million this year before going up to $6 million a year in each of the final four seasons of the deal. The 22-year-old Vancouver native had a career-high 30 goals during the 2011-12 season and followed it up with 17 goals in the lockout shortened 48-game 2012-13 season. But Kane has just 17 goals and 39 points in 60 games this season. Asked what Kane had to do to return to the lineup, Maurice said, "probably just come to the rink." Kane was seen outside the Jets locker-room post-game speaking with his agent, but declined to comment on being a healthy scratch. The scratch adds to a tough week for Kane as it was revealed Thursday that he was being sued in B.C. over an alleged assault charge stemming from an incident in August 2013. Jets captain Andrew Ladd said Kane would have to put the situation behind him and move on. "Its one of those things, hes got to bounce back and come to work the next day," said Ladd. "For us, it was more important to focus on this game and make sure we were ready to get the two points." Maurice had Dustin Byfuglien in the lineup to start Saturday night, but he left with 4:55 remaining in the second period with what the coach described as an upper-body injury. Maurice said Byfuglien was day-to-day and that he would be re-evaluated when the team got back to Winnipeg. Byfuglien started the game on a line with Olli Jokinen and Blake Wheeler. Jacquies Smith Jersey .J. -- Kevin Gilbride retired Thursday as offensive co-ordinator for the New York Giants. Louis Murphy Buccaneers Jersey . -- New York Yankees newcomer Masahiro Tanaka has finished up his first throwing session with the team.MINSK, Belarus -- Joel Ward knows who he is and who he isnt. "Im not going to go out there and be Ovi," he said. "I know what Im doing. Its not complex." Its not complex: Ward is just Team Canadas leading scorer through three games at the world hockey championship. With three goals hes actually tied for the tournament lead and has the same amount as Russian star and Washington Capitals teammate Alex Ovechkin. Ward doesnt have Ovechkins release or his accuracy, but the 33-year-old is no slouch, either. His 2013-14 NHL season included a career-high 24 goals, which was just the ticket to get him his first-ever international experience for Canada. Brad Pascall of Hockey Canada said assistant general manager Ron Hextall watched Ward play this past season and the group deciding on this team figured hed be a nice fit after the strong season he had. It was good for Ward to get noticed but even better for him to find some more self-appreciation of his offensive game. "Ive always believed in my abilities and never told myself I couldnt," the Toronto native said Tuesday. "My first year in Nashville I had 17 and I had some power-play time there, so I knew I could be a 20-goal scorer in the National Hockey League. It was just finding that spot and the right atmosphere and environment. This year I kind of got my spirits back up, my confidence back up to do so." Ward called it a season of "rejuvenation," crediting Capitals coach Adam Oates for changing the curve and length of his stick blade and teaching him more about how to play in front of the net. The reward was 24 goals and 25 assists, and those 49 points were third on Washington behind only Ovechkin and Swedish Olympian Nicklas Backstrom. Ward was never ever close to being considered for the star-studded Sochi team, but when he got the call to represent Canada at the world championships, he was thrilled just to have the chance. "When I first got the call, I said this was like my Olympics," he said. "First time to ever put a Canada jersey on. I grew up as a kid watching international hockey my whole life. When I got the call I was pretty excited to just be part of it. Im trying to make the most of it." So far, so good. Ward scored twice against Slovakia and then once against the Czech Republic. His three goals and four points lead Canada, which is 2-0-1 going into Thursdays game against Denmark. "Hes really come along as a player, and even in this tournament, too," Capitals and Team Canada teammate Troy Brouwer said. "Hes very opportunistic." What coach Dave Tippett likes about the six-foot-one, 221-pound right-winger is that he scores the kind of goals that are necessary in international play. "He scores hard goals --- hard goals in front of the net, good quick shots," Tippett said. Tim Jennings Jersey. . "Hes a hard player. Everybody thinks this is the big ice and its all flow and away from (the net). You look where our goals are being scored right now: A lot of them are right in front of the net. Hes a player that can get in there and muck around a little bit. ... Go hard to the net and be willing to get into a battle to score. Thats what he does." Wards first goal of the tournament was a perfect tip of a point shot by Jason Garrison. His two others were sharp shots that Washington linemate Jason Chimera didnt think many goaltenders in the world could stop. But its not necessarily his shot but how he gets those opportunities that makes Ward fit for the big ice surface. Hes admittedly not the swiftest guy but takes pride in creating space and not making mistakes. "I just try to play good, two-way hockey, and if I get a chance on the offensive side, try to make plays for my linemates," Ward said. "Just keeping it simple is something key for me and try not to be no hero and be something Im not. I just want to get pucks down deep and puck possession is very key. Fortunate to get a couple good bounces and playing with some good linemates." Ward is likely to continue playing on Canadas fourth line with Jonathan Huberdeau and Sean Monahan moving forward, but he could get some better scoring chances on the power play. Even though only six of his 24 goals this past season came in that role, getting that extra ice time is why he thinks hes a better scorer than he was even two years ago when he had a 40-game drought. "You get more opportunity to play, right? So the more you play, the more opportunity you get," he said. "If you can kind of get that opportunity and capitalize a bit, then you get more positive results, obviously, and you get more ice time and you get rewarded." Being at the world championships is Wards reward for such a strong season in Washington. Its also his first trip to Europe. "Im usually just a beach guy," Ward said, smiling. "I like to sit in the sand a little bit and have a pina colada, so this is kind of a new experience, new territory for me. Thank God Im here, and Im thankful for being here and getting an opportunity to do this." Along the way, hes giving Canada the opportunity to win games and move past an opening shootout loss to France. Count at least Brouwer and Chimera among those not surprised and also pumped to see Ward playing and producing like this. "It couldnt happen to a better person," Chimera said. "Hes a great human being and everyone likes him. When he has success, the team has success, too, because the team just feeds off that kind of guy." Cheap Jerseys Wholesale Jerseys Wholesale Jerseys Cheap Jerseys Cheap NFL Jerseys Cheap Jerseys China Wholesale Jerseys ' ' ' 
0 0 0
Sponsors

Advertisement

Sponsors

This Page is Sponsored by

Share or Sign In to unlock this!

Please help us sharing this page on facebook to unlock the content.

Google this