LHP Drew Smyly (2-4) to th | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » General » General Forum
zhaoqi123
zhaoqi123 Jul 25 '16
CALGARY -- The Calgary Flames seem to be more comfortable when theyre against the ropes. Muhammad Wilkerson Jets Jersey . Joe Colborne capped off a thrilling game, scoring the only goal of the shootout as the Flames overcame a two-goal third period deficit for an improbable 4-3 win over the red-hot St. Louis Blues on Monday. In the shootout, Colborne shot first and beat Jaroslav Halak on a deke for his third goal on four attempts this season. Reto Berra secured the victory in net by denying TJ Oshie, Derek Roy and Magnus Paajarvi. "Weve been doing it all year," said Colborne. "It seems like when we have a lead going into the third period, were more nervous than we are when we come in and were down." Flames captain Mark Giordano forced the shootout, dramatically tying the game with five seconds left in the third period. Patrick Berglunds holding penalty gave Calgary a power play for the final 1:37 of the third. Flames coach Bob Hartley added more pop to his offence by pulling Berra, making it a six-on-four situation. The ploy worked as Calgary poured on the pressure. At one point after a slick passing sequence, rookie Sean Monahan -- staring at an empty net -- had the tying goal roll off his stick. No matter, Hudlers long diagonal pass was one-timed in by Giordano, sending the sell-out crowd of 19,289 into a frenzy. "I was just hoping he saw me because I saw the lane open right up," Giordano said. "When I saw it coming over and he laid it nice and flat for me. I just obviously tried to get a shot on net and it was a really good feeling to see that one go in for sure." Hartley likes his teams determination when its behind. "We know the trademark of our team. Credit goes to our players. They never quit," Hartley said. "We dont want to fall behind but we always feel as a coaching staff that we keep supporting those guys and they always come up with a big goal, a big effort." After the game Hartley emphasized the importance of heading in to the holiday season on a high note. "This morning, I told them. I know its one game out of 82 but the last game before Christmas, its always special," said Hartley. "Youre going home, your families will be around and many times they talk to you about your last game. So, for our players, to go back in their families, theyll have plenty to talk about." Among the conversation starters will be defeating the Blues when they score first as they did -- St. Louis entered the night 21-1-2 when that occurs, and when they lead after two periods as they did -- they entered the night 16-0-2 in that scenario. The Flames lead the league in one-goal games, the latest being a 4-3 loss to Pittsburgh on Saturday in which a third period comeback came up short. Hudler and Mike Cammalleri also scored for Calgary (14-17-6) on Monday. The win kicked off a five-game homestand for the Flames and also snapped a three-game winless skid. Kevin Shattenkirk, Jaden Schwartz and Paajarvi scored for St. Louis (24-7-5) in regulation. The Blues took three out of four points in Alberta and head home 5-1-2 in their last eight. "Its uncharacteristic but a learning lesson for us," said Blues captain David Backes. "We played a team tonight that played their butts off and was on an uphill trajectory all game. They got better as the game went on and we plateaued and took out foot off the gas a little bit." The Blues looked like they had the game well under control when goals 44 seconds apart in the second period from Schwartz and Paajarvi broke open a 1-1 tie and sent St. Louis to the intermission up by two. "Teams in the west will take it to you if you let your foot off the gas and this team is no different. A little credit to them but were going to look inside our room and make sure were better next time we come out," said Backes. Blues coach Ken Hitchcock spoke only briefly and echoed what his captain said. "We lost composure with the puck. We made some puck errors. We got caught not clearing pucks at the end. We had full control of the hockey game," said Hitchcock. "We were just winding the game down and made some puck errors and the next thing you know it was in our net." Berra had 32 saves, while Halak made 26 stops. Notes: Flames centre Matt Stajan left the game late in overtime after a knee-on-knee collision with David Backes, who was penalized for kneeing on the play. There was no update after the game on his condition. ... Calgary announced that Curtis Glencross (high ankle sprain), who earlier in the year missed 15 games with a knee injury, will miss eight weeks while D Kris Russell (sprained knee) will miss the next 4-6 weeks. Also out is C Blair Jones (knee, indefinite). That left D Derek Smith as the lone healthy scratch... Taking Russells spot on the Calgary blue-line was Chris Breen.... With Alex Steen (upper body) out for the Blues, 20-year-old Dmitrij Jaskin, recalled from Chicago (AHL), made his season debut and played alongside Oshie and Backes. Dennis Byrd Jets Jersey . CATHARINES, Ont. Brian Winters Jets Jersey .com) - The San Antonio Spurs are one win away from yet another title and they will go for it Sunday night against the Miami Heat in Game 5 of the NBA Finals at AT&T Center.DETROIT -- John Gibbons was all smiles in the visiting managers office after his Toronto Blue Jays wrapped up yet another sweep of one of the American Leagues most successful teams. "Were feeling good right now," Gibbons said. "Were confident, and were playing good baseball. Were rolling." Juan Francisco and Brett Lawrie hit consecutive home runs in the sixth inning off Justin Verlander, and the Blue Jays completed their first series sweep of the Detroit Tigers since 2004 with a 7-3 victory Thursday. The AL East-leading Blue Jays have won 19 of 23, including sweeps of defending champion Boston, AL West-leading Oakland and AL Central-leading Detroit. "Its a great atmosphere -- weve got a lot of positivity in here," Lawrie said. "Everyone likes to have fun, and everybodys comfortable with one another." J.A. Happ (5-2) allowed three runs and seven hits in 6 1-3 innings for Toronto. Casey Janssen got the final out for his 10th save in 11 chances. He needed only one pitch to retire Nick Castellanos on a line drive to left with two on. Melky Cabrera also homered for the Blue Jays. Verlander (6-5) allowed six runs -- five earned -- and eight hits in seven innings. He walked four and struck out four. Toronto scored three runs each in the fourth and sixth. "My fastball was great today, but I just missed some off-speed pitches," Verlander said. "If I execute those four or five pitches, this would have been a fantastic game. I feel like Im turning the corner with the mechanical adjustments Ive made. I know the results dont reflect that, but I felt great out there." With the score tied at 3, Adam Lind drew a leadoff walk in the sixth. Francisco followed with a homer to right, and Lawries drive to left made it 6-3. "Against a guy like that, you cant really be on your heels," said Lawrie, who did not have an at-bat against Verlander before Thursday. "Youve got to be ready to go. Jarvis Jenkins Jets Jersey. Worked a couple good at-bats against him today, and ended up putting one in play, and it ended up being big for us." It was the 10th homer of the season for both Francisco and Lawrie. Toronto has hit a major league-leading 87. The Blue Jays won despite the absence of slugger Edwin Encarnacion, who missed the game with a back issue. The Tigers are still in first place, but they should no longer feel too comfortable after dropping 13 of their last 17. The last time Detroit endured a 4-13 stretch spanned the end of the 2010 season and the beginning of 2011, according to STATS. In 2011, of course, the Tigers began a streak of three straight division titles theyre now hoping to extend. Detroit scored twice in the third and once in the fifth, but the Blue Jays had an answer each time. Ian Kinsler opened the scoring for Detroit with an RBI triple and scored on Torii Hunters sacrifice fly. But Jose Bautista led off the fourth with a flyball that Hunter and centre fielder Austin Jackson each seemed to expect the other to catch. Hunter ended up trying to make the play at the last second, and the right fielder was charged with a two-base error. The Blue Jays eventually loaded the bases with one out, and Dioner Navarro hit an RBI single. Erik Kratz followed with a two-run single to put Toronto ahead. Kinsler tied it in the fifth with an RBI groundout, but Toronto took the lead back for good the following inning. Cabrera capped the scoring with a solo shot in the ninth, and he has 10 homers on the season as well. NOTES: Castellanos had three hits. ... Bautista extended his hitting streak to 11 games with a first-inning single. ... Detroit hosts the Red Sox on Friday night. The Tigers send LHP Drew Smyly (2-4) to the mound against Boston RHP Rubby De La Rosa (1-0). ... Toronto hosts St. Louis. Blue Jays RHP Marcus Stroman (2-0) takes on Cardinals RHP Lance Lynn (6-3). Cheap Jerseys Wholesale Jerseys Wholesale Jerseys Cheap Jerseys Cheap NFL Jerseys Cheap Jerseys China Wholesale Jerseys ' ' ' 
0 0 0
Sponsors
Jobs from Indeed

Advertisement

Sponsors

This Page is Sponsored by

Share or Sign In to unlock this!

Please help us sharing this page on facebook to unlock the content.

Google this